Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Text book or manual?

We have a data analysis stream in this module and our text book is "Data Analysis and Decision Making" and in smaller prints "with Microsoft excel".

I get it. Excel is good and authors may have wanted to make this book sell to non students? Nice try.. Wont work easily.

We also need "StatTools", excel plugin to do the analysis.

The book has instructions on how to use StatTools all over. It makes me think whether it is a text book or a software manual.

Letting go is a difficult job. How can I accept the software without understanding the concepts and its implementation? Hmm.. I am in the minority if I opt to create my own algorithms to figure out p-value etc. Well. I just have to believe in whatever the software does and go along with the rest. Or, I will lag behind.

My interest in MBA is to get into product management with a hope that I will be a better judge of a product/market and in a few years I can start something on my own. I am rethinking that strategy. Stay tuned for my next post for details.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that the book is very stat tools focused, but I think it does a good job of explaining the underlying math (it does give the formula for every value we're looking at). Moreover, there's much more focus on the meaning behind the measurements and metrics.

Having gone through econ stats and econometrics back in college, I think StatTools is awesome. (It would be alright if StatTools were rewritten to be platform agnostic. Or at least supply a plugin that only contains the custom functions.)