Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Filler: Year end update

I tried to blog periodically and still I got sucked into worldly matters and could not finish a post I started. I changed my mind and decided to just list the items I wanted to talk about.

Our mod IV was short, just 4 weeks, but was very interesting. I especially liked our final group exam evaluating which country should MTN enter, Kenya or Ukraine? Thats all the question and we had to figure out everything about MTN, Kenya and Ukraine and present our recommendations. Very interesting stuff.

I got this email about change of "Honors" policy in Babson. It seems we are moving away from Honors into three categories of "Cum Laude"s. It was touted as a move to make students worry less about grades. I do not believe that. The process through which the committee came up with this decision was appalling. One GSC representative participated without consulting the student body at large. I wonder how students in other schools get involved in such a high impact decision making.

Recently I attended a networking reception at Highland Capital. They had an interesting internship/incubator program and there were lots of people who applied to this program. There seems to be lot of activity in video advertisement space.

I recently went on a trip to Niagara falls. I am glad I went on a weekday. Less crowded and it was not such a painful 8 hour drive. Here is a photo we took.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Babson has always had three categories of honors. The change will make it each honors grou more selective. And it's not necessarily bad for everyone - for a top student that will get summa cun laude either way, it actually makes the award worth something (anyone who saw the % of students with honors this past year would laugh, it was outrageous). Frankly, the people whining about it are the same grade-grubbing brown-nosers that everyone hates to have class with.

Narayanan said...

Thanks Mr/Ms Anonymous for sharing your view!

Well. Whether the new system is good or bad is beside the point. I am more concerned about who makes such a decision and what say the student body has in this process.

I would have liked to see GSC discussing this issue with the students first before voicing their consent to the school.

It is not surprising that you did not get the point as you seem to be too busy being anonymous and hating your classmates.

Anonymous said...

Same anonymous person. I think your point about the process is a fair one. But there are many important decisions made by GSC where the student body is not consulted - this is the only one students have been upset about (to my knowledge) - why? Question - do you think the outcome is good? I think is _is_ relevant as I believe the decision was a no-brainer. I also agree that politically, the school should have solicited input from students to get buy in - but this was a necessary outcome.

And your shot at me is also fair based on what I wrote. Note that I like the vast majority of my classmates. Those that frustrate me fall into three categories: people that care more about grades than learning; people that consistently bum rush the professor during every break and before and after class (making it difficult for those of us that have a legitimate question or point to get a word in); and people that talk just to have their voice heard. There is a lot of overlap between all three groups, and most of the complaining I heard after the honors policy change was done by these people.

Let's hope the new policy is better for Babson. I certainly think it is. And I think the thing students should be most up in arms about is either the lack of quiet study space or the disaster known as Pandini's. Good luck this coming year.

Mr./Mrs. Anonymous